This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The homemade vegan pudding uses 5 ingredients and is made within 5 minutes! It is lighter in calories and fat than traditional vanilla pudding and it’s made with more wholesome ingredients without any food coloring and unnecessary additives.
Sometimes instant-pudding mixes are so quick and convenient when you need a quick treat. But they are filled with many unnecessary ingredients and food coloring. Try this homemade version that’s not only easy to make, but also dairy-free and egg-free and perfect for any toppings!
ingredients for homemade pudding
- Almond milk: The base for the vanilla pudding is vanilla flavored almond milk. You can use any other type of milk you’d like for the recipe.
- Sugar: The sugar dissolves into the warm milk to create a sweet taste. You can use any type of granulated sugar or cane sugar. You can even use honey or maple syrup, but they will lend a slightly darker hue to the pudding
- Cornstarch: The non-vegan homemade pudding recipes will usually contain eggs to bind the mixture and add a more rich flavor to it, but the mixture binds really well with the cornstarch.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a lovely richness to the recipe to balance the cornstarch, especially since we’re not using eggs in the recipe.
How to make vegan pudding
Here’s the cool thing about this recipe. You throw it all in a small saucepan. You whisk gently for a few minutes and you have pudding.
- Add the milk and sugar to a pot.
- Add in the cornstarch.
- Simmer and whisk together so that the pudding is thick and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
Tips to for making vegan pudding
- Simmer but don’t boil. The mixture should be a control-able low simmer so that the milk doesn’t bubble over.
- Whisk constantly. Keep whisking the pudding throughout cooking so that you end up with a smooth and thick mixture. It’s a good workout for your arms!
- Allow the pudding to chill before serving. As it chills, the pudding will set and become firm, allow for at least an hour of chilling time.
- Make different flavors! We used vanilla extract to flavor this vegan pudding, but you can try other extracts like peppermint or lemon if you prefer.
frequently asked questions
This pudding is perfect to enjoy with some fruit and whipped cream. But you can also incorporate it into other desserts or use it as a base for other desserts like
Yes, you can use dairy milk if not vegan. Other plant based milks like coconut or soy will work well too.
Once your pudding has fully cooled, place it in to an air tight container and keep it refrigerated. It will keep well for up to 7 days and can be served right from the fridge for a delicious dessert.
There are so many ways to enjoy this vegan pudding, and it’s so easy to make that you’ll find yourself making this all the time…it’s the perfect simple dessert!
For more pudding recipes
- 3 Ingredient Chia Pudding
- Almond Milk Rice Pudding
- Lemon Pudding
- Banana Pudding Parfait
- Layered Strawberry Chia Pudding
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Vegan Vanilla Pudding recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Vegan Vanilla Pudding
In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the almond milk, cornstarch and sugar, and stir well to combine all the ingredients together.
Turn down the heat to a low simmer, and start whisking lightly but constantly as the mixture heats. It’s important not to stop whisking in order to avoid any clumps.
After whisking for about 5-7 minutes, the mixture will thicken like pudding. Stir in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt, then divide the pudding equally into four cups or containers.
Place the containers in the fridge for at least one hour to allow the pudding to set and chill.
Served with whipped cream and berries, if desired, and enjoy cold.
Tip: Whisk continuously during cooking to create a smooth and thick pudding.
Tip: Allow the pudding to chill in the fridge for at least an hour for it to fully set.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.